Migrating to AustraliaSkilled MigrationSkilled Visa



The new 491 visa Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) subclass 491 visas will enable eligible skilled workers to obtain a provisional visa for up to 5 years. In order to qualify you must live and work in a regional area for a period of three years. After working and living in the regional area, this will be a direct pathway for permanent residency visa.

Where are the regional areas?

Regional areas are everywhere Australia wide except the following cities: Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. It was recently announced by the Federal Government that Perth and the city of the Gold Coast are now regional areas as well as Wollongong and Newcastle, which are both in NSW.

What are the criteria to qualify for the visa?

  • Must be under the age of 45 years at time of application
  • Must have a positive skills assessment: their skills assessed by the relevant authority this looks at previous work experience and formal qualifications
  • Meet the points criteria
  • Competent English

What are the conditions of the visa?

-The visa holder lives and works in a regional area for the three-year period

-Ability to move between regional areas during the duration of the three-year period

-Must earn an annual salary and taxable income of $53,900 per annum for the three-year period.

What are the advantages of the visa?

-Even though this visa is provisional unlike other provisional visas in the past the visa holders will receive full Medicare

-The visa holders will have access to free government education.

– The government will award additional points for going to the regional area



If I don’t find a job in my profession, I nominate but still make $53,900 will I satisfy the requirement?

Yes as long as you are living and working in the regional area this will satisfy the requirement. You must show a minimum annual salary of $53,900 each year in which you held the provisional visa.


Can I live in regional, but work say in Sydney?

No, you must live and work in a regional area for a period of three years.


Can my partner come with me on my visa?

Yes, you can nominate your partner at time of application.


Is my permanent visa guaranteed at the end of the three-year period?

Providing you satisfy the requirements whilst holding the visa you will be eligible for the permanent visa.


Can I get any government benefits on the 491 visa?

No you can not the only benefit that you will be able to obtain will be Medicare. In addition, your children will get State government education at no cost.


What are the occupations on the list?

Please see current list on our website



  1. I am a web developer and I work from home. My company is in Melbourne. They neither have office nor client in regional area. I am although in regional area of NSW. I got sponsored by NSW. So, can I able to show income from this employment?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *