Short Stay Visa

5 things to Know about the Subclass 400 – Temporary Work Visa

What is a Subclass 400 – Temporary Work Visa

This is for people who want to travel to Australia to provide short-term, highly-specialised, non-ongoing work or activity at the invitation of an Australian organisation.

Who can apply for this visa?

You can apply for a Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400) in the Highly Specialised stream if you are, for example:

  • a public lecturer
  • a specialist giving master classes
  • a specialist / contractor invited for a short-term activity or work
  • a ‘nanny’ employed by an overseas family and accompanying underage child/ren

How long is the visa valid for?

Up to three months .

Does my occupation have to be on a specialised skilled list?

No, there is not specialised skilled list on which your occupation must be listed?

Is there an age limit?

No. there is no age limit in applying for this visa.

Can I reapply for subclass 400 visa?

The visa is not intended as a long-term stays or residence. If you would like to migrate to Australia or spend longer periods of time, you should explore other visa options.

Note:  In *certain circumstances you may be eligible for another subclass 400 visa.

Where can I apply for this visa from?

You must be outside Australia to apply for the visa and outside at time of visa grant.

Do I need health cover?

Yes, you will need medical insurance during your duration of stay?

Is the employer required to apply for sponsorship or nomination for subclass 400 visa?

No, sponsorship or nomination is required for this visa type since is it is a short stay visa up to 3 months.

Who else can be included in the visa?

Your member of “family unit” can be included in this visa application.

A “member of the Family unit” is:

  • partner – married or de facto (same or opposite sex) or
  • dependent child, up to 23 years of age

How Can We Help

There are extensive requirements in the subclass 400 visa along with including are relevant evidence for visa application.

We can assess your eligibility and help you understand the requirements and processes involved.

 You can book a consultation with our Migration Agent who will go through more specific requirements with you ensuring your Temporary Work visa (Subclass 400) application meets all requirements for a smooth application.

Contact us via email: or call 1300 015 592

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *