5 Common ways of Migrating to Australia

The Top 5 ways that you may seek access when migrating to Australia.

Migrating to another country is a big step. You are not alone!

There are currently 99 Australian visa subclasses. Knowing and understanding your best visa option based on your circumstance is vital.

The Department of Home Affairs (DOHA)  publishes frequent changes in respect to Australian immigration Law, which makes knowing what your best options are tricky and confusing.

  1. Skilled Visa

The Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) set out visa schemes for skilled professionals under its current General Skilled Migration programme.

To be meet minimum eligibility for the General skilled migration programme you must:

  • Be over 18 years of age and under 45 years
  • Have good English skills
  • An occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)
  • Receive positive skill assessment  for your nominated occupation
  • Have adequate work experience along with Qualifications
  • Meet additional requirement by skill assessing authority that often can differ from Department of Home Affairs (DOHA)

I know this sounds frustrating and you may panic! Don’t worry help is in sight, send your us your cv for a preliminary eligibility assessment – this saves you time, money and stress!

  1. Family/ Partner Visa 

Under the family migration stream, there are many visa classes.

As a guide below here are some of the visa classes:

  • Partner visa- if you are in a de facto relation/ marriage with an Australian citizen
  • Child visa- If you parent in an Australian citizen and wish to sponsor its biologic child, must be under 25 years of age, in full-time study, single and not currently working full time. Additional requirements apply for adult child applicants over 18 years in addition to standard requirement.  
  • Orphan visa- If you have a niece/ nephew, grandchild who is under 18 years of age, single, whose parents are deceased/ whereabouts unknown…
  • Remaining relative visa-  Do you have a biological adult child who is your only remaining relative overseas? This may be an option. If the applicant is in a marriage

Well, this is not it, the list could go on for pages…. Yes, the Australian migration Scheme as said consist of currently 99 visa subclasses.

So, getting professional advice from a registered MARA agent is vital

  1. Business Visa

Do you have equity that you wish to invest? If yes, read further….

The Business Visa Program provides visa pathways for successful business owners, investors and senior executives to settle in Australia while developing new or existing opportunities in Australian business.

This may be another permanent visa pathway if you are under 50 years and wish to invest!!

  1. Employer Sponsored Visa

Have you found an Australian employer that wish to sponsor you for a work visa? If yes, then you are on a good path.

This can be a way to make entry to Australia and full fill your dream of permanent residence, as some temporary work visa provide a pathway to permanent residency when working for the same employer for two years!

Note: You must have an occupation for which the employer wishes to nominate you for and that is on current skilled occupation list!! The skilled occupation list will vary for some employer sponsor visa schemes.

  1. Research about Australia- Employment and Housing

Being able to find a visa option and making an application for an Australian visa is only one of the steps.

It is vital to research about Australia and its employment, housing and settlement option. There are many service providers that may assist.

As a guide looking for employment, you may wish to search through reputable online employment sites such as:


Now, moving on to find a place to live in is another battle to challenge, to assist in understanding the housing market for rent or buy in Australia, you may wish to visit some of the many online housing portals online in searching for accommodation such as:


Getting Professional Assistance

Get professional help from a Migration Agent. Make sure they are MARA (Migration Agents Registration Authority) registered.

I’m pleased to say that I am a MARA agent having helped people to migrate to Australia since 2011.


Contact us to book a consultation today!


Disclaimer: The information provided herein is of a general nature only and does not constitute immigration advice. For more detailed and case-specific information or advice, please contact Direct Migration Experts.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *