Short-Stay Visa (Subclass 400)

Short-Stay Visa (Subclass 400)

A short-stay visa is for people who want to travel to Australia to provide short-term, highly-specialised, non-ongoing work or activity at the invitation of an Australian organisation.

Who can apply for this visa?

You can apply for a Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400) in the Highly Specialised stream if you are, for example:

  • A Specialist Engineer working on a project
  • Project Manager specializing in Construction
  • A specialist / contractor invited for a short-term activity or work

The Australian employer should provide supporting evidence as part of the applicant, which should include any of the below listed:
statement outlining the size, work schedule, number of Australian workers employed and duration of the project or work;
assessment by the relevant peak industry body or evidence from a large reputable employment agency; or letter from the relevant union that the employment skills cannot be found in Australia.

Additionally, the applicant’s personal attributes and/or employment history must be relevant to, and consistent with, the nature of your proposed work in Australia. The applicant must also demonstrate a need for the applicant to be in Australia to participate in the work or event or engage in the proposed activity.

Consideration is also made by Department of Home Affairs on the following when assessing the application:

  • Applicant’s current occupation and skill level
  • Previous study
  • English proficiency to do the proposed work
  • The work experience by the applicant undertaking the same or similar work or activity.

The great benefit of the subclass 400 visa is that it does not have a specified skilled occupation list, no age limit and is granted for up to 6 months which is assessed case by case depending on the nature and size of project the applicant is intending to work on. For a stay period longer than 3 months, a strong business case must be provided with the application.

Where can I apply for this visa from?

You must be outside Australia to apply for the visa and outside at time of visa grant.

Do I need health cover?

Yes, you will need medical insurance during your duration of stay.

Is the employer required to apply for sponsorship or nomination for subclass 400 visa?

No sponsorship or nomination is required for this visa type since is it is a short stay visa up to 3 months.

Who else can be included in the visa?

Your member of “family unit” can be included in this visa application.

A “member of the Family unit” is:

  • partner – married or de facto (same or opposite sex)
  • dependent child, up to 23 years of age

How Can Direct Migration Experts Help ?

There are extensive requirements for subclass 400 visa in addition to providing substantial evidence at time of visa application.

Direct Migration Experts can assess your eligibility and help you understand the requirements and processes involved.

You can book a consultation with our Migration Agent who will go through more specific requirements with you ensuring your Temporary Work visa (Subclass 400) application meets all requirements for a smooth application.

Give our friendly team a call for consultation today 1300 015 592.