Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)

The 457 has been abolished and thereby replaced by subclass 482 visa in March 2018!

Who is this visa for?

If you have an occupation on the Short Term  Occupation List (STSOL)  you may be eligible for  this visa for up to two years.

If you occupation is on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) 

then you may be eligible for a visa up to four years. *You may be eligible for permanent residency after three years.

You may include dependent family members your application

You must have the skills required to fulfil the role.

You must meet Health and character criteria for this visa. Police clearance certificates are required for every country in which the applicant has lived for 12 months or more since turning 16 years of age, within the last ten years.

How to get started?

There are 3 steps to this application process:

  • Sponsorship

A business must become approved as a Standard Business Sponsor in order to employ a skilled professional on a subclass 482 visa.

In order to obtain a Standard Business Sponsorship, it’s a mandatory requirement that the business must:

  • Demonstrate lawful and active operation in Australia

Provide information and documents to its correct ABN to apply under, registering the business name, supplying Business Activity Statements (BAS) and financial statements, as well as showing a commitment to training Australian citizens and permanent residents and compliance with workplace and other Australian laws.

  1. Nomination

The employer must nominate a position within their business as one which must be filled by an overseas citizen. The nomination process has it own mandatory requirements to be met such as:

  • Labour Market Testing

To nominate an employee for a subclass 482 visa, the business us required to provide evidence and demonstrate that they have tested the labour market.

The business must demonstrate that it has unsuccessfully advertised for the nominated position, which could not be filled by local Australian citizen/permanent residents.

Evidence requirements are very strict, as at time of application two advertisements must have been placed within the last 4 months for a minimum period of 28 days, which will be deemed as acceptable. *There are exemptions to this requirement in some instances. It is in the best interest of the business to seek legal advice from experienced migration agent, to ensure that labour market testing regulations are met.

Training Levy

The employer is required to pay a Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) levy at nomination stage.

The amounts payable per applicant are set out as follows:

The charge will be calculated according to the number of years for which the visa is required, as set out in the nomination, and will be payable in full at this time.

  • A small business (Turnover less than $10M) will pay $1,200 per nomination per year for a subclass 482 visa. A large business will pay $1,800 per nominee per year.
  • If the employee is applying for a four year visa, this will require the four annual payments to be made at the time of application. (For example, if a large business nominates an employee for a four year subclass 482 visa, this business is liable to pay $7,200 when the nomination is made.)

Salary Level
The salary for the nominated position must be:

  • above the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT). The current TSMIT threshold is $53,900 plus superannuation and reviewed each year by Department of Home Affairs (DOHA).
  • Salary must be within the market rate for the role, to ensure that the applicant will be paid equivalent or in line with Australian employees in comparable roles.
  • There are some occupation that are subject to caveats that set a minimum remuneration level that is well above the TSMIT

We will assess the eligibility of the application for a standard business sponsorship, nomination and visa application as part of our consultation process.

If you engage our services, we will guide you through the entire process, from collating and gathering the required documents, preparing your application, liaising with Immigration Department and relevant third parties to lodgement of your application.

1300 015 592 for consultation today