Subclass 407- Training Visa
Training visa allows people to undertake occupational training in Australia to meet occupational registration or licensing requirements; to enhance skills in their occupation; or for capacity building overseas.
The application must be lodged online. You can either be in Australia or overseas when lodging the application.
There are three eligibility pathways for the subclass 407 training visa.
Have turned 18 (or can demonstrate exceptional circumstances)
There are 3 types of occupational training covered by this visa:
Government Support-Structured workplace-based occupational training which has:
- the support of a government agency in Australia or
- the government in the home country of the nominated trainee
- Government agency support in Australia must be at the national or state/territory level.
- Government in the nominated person’s home country must be at the national, state/territory or provincial level.
- The training must be specifically tailored and timed to cover the needs of the nominated person.
Professional development programs of face-to-face teaching in a classroom or similar environment in Australia. It is for overseas employers to send their managerial or professional employees.
Occupational training to improve skills in an eligible occupation
Workplace-based structured training programs that:
- is specifically tailored and timed to the training needs of the nominated person
- is in relation to an occupation specified on the list of eligible skilled occupations
- involves a nominee who has recent and suitable prior experience. This can include employment experience or study experience that:
- is the equivalent of at least 12 months full-time experience in the occupation
- has occurred in the 24 months immediately before the nomination is lodged
Occupational training required for registration
The workplace-based training is required to get occupational registration, membership or licensing required for registration.
- Have functional English
- Hold private health insurance
- Have access to sufficient funds to support themselves in Australia
- Genuinely intend to stay temporarily in Australia for the intended purpose
- Meet health and character requirements
- Sponsorship by an approved Temporary Activities Sponsor is required.
- be nominated (unless your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)
- be invited (if your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)
The duration of stay (stay period) you have been granted will be consistent with the requirements of your training position or professional development programme (up to 2 years).
What visa must I hold to apply for Training Visa onshore?
You must be a holder of substantive visa, except for a:
- a Subclass 403 (Temporary Work (International Relations) visa in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or Consular stream) or
- a Subclass 771 (Transit) visa or
- a Special Purpose visa
Some examples of occupations that are considered for subclass 407 visa.
- welder (first class)
- fitter (general)
- fitter and turner
- metal machinist (first class)
- carpenter and joiner
- panel beater
- ICT business analyst
- Systems analyst
- Multimedia specialist
- Analyst programmer
- Developer programmer
- Software engineer
- Software and applications programmers (nec)
- ICT security specialist
- Computer network and systems engineer
- Telecommunications engineer
- Telecommunications network engineer
- Registered nurse
- Surgeon (general)
- Cardiothoracic surgeon
- Orthopaedic surgeon
- Paediatric surgeon
- Plastic and reconstructive surgeon
- Vascular surgeon