Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143 & 173)

Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143 & 173)

The contributory parent visa allows parents to live in Australia if their child is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

The contributory parent 173 visa is a temporary visa which allows the applicant to live in Australia for two years. This visa cannot be extended or renewed, however applicants can apply for Contributory Parent (subclass 143) (within 2 years of living in Australia on 173 visa) if they wish to live permanently in Australia.


Eligibility Criteria to be met for both subclass 143/173 visa

  • Your child is Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Your child has been living in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years
  • You have a sponsor
  • You meet the balance of family test. That means you must have more or equal number of children in Australian who are Australian residents/ citizen and are settled. 
  • You meet health and character requirements
  • All  contributory parent visa applicants must provide an assurance of Support (AoS) before a visa can be granted. This requirement cannot be waived in any circumstances.


It is preferred that your sponsor is above the age of 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

There are circumstances where a child under the age of 18 can be your sponsor , as  a relative or guardian of their child, or a community organisation can apply for sponsorship on their behalf.


The Australian Government also permits community organisations to sponsor your application provided:

  • Your child and the organisation has a relationship
  • The senior representative of the organisation agrees to sponsor you
  • The organisation is lawfully established in Australia
  • The organisation has been operating in Australia for at least one year
  • The organisation is financially stable


In all cases the second instalment of monies paid is only called for after each applicant has passed health and character tests and the AoS (Assurance of Support) has been lodged with the Australian government. In no case will a second instalment be paid and a visa not granted.  Second instalments are non-refundable in all cases.

The Department of Home Affairs will advise you when you need to provide the assurance of support.  The assurance of support assures immigration that you will not have to rely on government assistance after you enter Australia on this visa.  The assurance of support must be provided by your sponsor or an genuine incorporate/ unincorporated organisation

What are the benefits of subclass 143/173 visa? Being a contributory parent 173 visa holder, you can:

  • You can live, study or work in Australia for indefinitely  (for subclass 143 visa only)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence from overseas(for subclass 143 visa only)
  • Access to medicare
  • Become an Australian citizen when you meet the requirements (for subclass 143 visa only)
  • The subclass 173 visa is a temporary visa and valid for 2 years, which entitles you to medicare and option to apply


Unlike other Migration agencies, Direct Migration Experts make the process of applying for visas as simple and straightforward as possible.

 We will work with you every step of the way with a detailed step-by-step process to ensure your application is processed as fast as possible.

  1. Schedule a consultation with one our experts migration agents or lawyer, where we will assess and advise you Australian visa options based on your circumstances.
  2. If you engage us after the initial consultation, we will then gather and prepare all of the documentation as well as perform any additional review of the documents you provided to ensure they comply with migration regulations relevant to the visa application.
  3. Following step 2, we will begin to prepare and lodge your application in a timely manner.
  4. We will notify you of the visa outcome. 

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Where can I make the application for the subclass 143/173 visa?


You can be in or outside of Australia when you lodge the visa application. If you lodge an application inside Australia, you must remain in Australian when visa outcome is finalised. The same remains also for offshore (outside of Australia) parent visa applications.

  • Do I get a bridging visa is I apply for a subclass 143/1732 from within Australia?

You can only obtain a bridging visa  if you are in in Australia and you/ your family member hold a subclass 173 visa, or subclass 676- Tourist visa or Visitor Visa through ministerial intervention.

The bridging visa will entitle you to remain in Australia lawfully until your subclass 143 is being finalised.


  • Can I apply for a subclass 143/173 visa if I had an Australian visa cancelled or refused?

If you had an Australian visa cancelled or refused, you may not be eligible to apply for a subclass 143/173 visa onshore.

Am I eligible for a contributory parent visa?

1300 015 592 for consultation today or email: