The independent skilled visa is for skilled applicants who are currently in or outside Australia who can satisfy the skilled points test. This stream is for Points-tested skilled applicants who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.
The Skilled Migrant program is conducted through Skill Select, a database for migrants, employers and nominating State/ Territory Governments.
Who this visa is for?
- This visa type is suitable for people who are well qualified with work experiencein their field.
- This visa is appropriate for those who hold a university qualification or trade qualifications.
- Your nominated occupation must be on the list of approved occupations for migration to Australia, which is adjusted by the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) in July annually and may be subject to changes from time to time. The current list provides opportunities but is not limited to the listed areas for managers, administrators, engineers, teachers, trades persons and most occupations in the medical sector are on the list.
- You occupation must be on the MLTSSL list.
- You must be under 45 years of age
- Have a suitable skills assessment for your nominated occupation.
- Have competent English
- 65 points are required to qualify as well as meeting the standard conditions. Points are allocated for qualifications, age, English language ability, work experience, your spouse’s skills.
Points are awarded in the following categories:
- English Language
- Australian and Overseas Work Experience
- Australian Study
- Community Language
- Regional Australian Study
- Spouse Skills
- Professional Year
*You must lodge an expression of interest and be invited in order to apply for the visa.
Do you have more questions? Want to know if you occupation is on the Skilled list as approved by DOHA (Department of Home Affairs)?